It is an exciting time as Prothena continues to receive positive data and advances its potentially game-changing pipeline. The company is seeking an entrepreneurial, motivated, and strategic Head of Communications who dares to be different in order to unleash its vast potential and ensure Prothena is best positioned in the eyes of the media, scientific and medical thought leaders, patients, payors, and other stakeholder communities.
As chief architect of Prothena’s communications strategy, the SVP, Head of Communications will have the opportunity to build and lead the global communications function as the company continues to develop its leading protein dysregulation pipeline of novel investigational therapies for rare peripheral amyloid and neurodegenerative diseases and prepares for the potential commercialization of Birtamimab. He or she will create, develop, and execute a comprehensive internal and external communications plan that enhances Prothena’s corporate brand experience and identity.
Reporting to the COO/CFO, the SVP, Head of Communications will be a welcomed and key advisor to Prothena’s executive team. The position will be based in South San Francisco, California, but there is some flexibility as needed.
Top priorities include:
• Partnering with the SVP of Strategy to further define, refine, optimize, and make more concise the communication of Prothena’s corporate strategy;
• Establishing, as needed, and building strong proactive partnerships with public relations vendor(s) to ensure Prothena’s visibility in the neurodegeneration space with the media and all relevant stakeholders;
• Partnering with research and medical to help unify communications highlighting scientific publications and strengthen Prothena’s reach with KOLs and patient communities.
The Senior Vice President, Head of Communications will:
GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
• Develop and execute a corporate communications strategy that differentiates the company’s product candidates and raises corporate brand awareness in alignment with global organizational and operational goals.
• Collaborate cross-functionally by integrating input from early research through commercial to create and manage a global messaging platform for use in all external and internal messaging around Prothena’s unique scientific approach and pipeline.
• Serve as the primary liaison and contact person for the media community; act as company spokesperson and direct the work of external agencies to develop global PR strategy, conduct proactive outreach to journalists, arrange interviews, and prepare executive spokespersons.
• Partner collaboratively with HR, IR, Research, and other functions to develop and execute all communications - such as internal and external announcements, including scientific and financial press releases, corporate presentations and scripts for investor conferences and R&D Days, Q&A documents, annual reports, and other SEC filings.
• Develop and implement a crisis communications practice and playbook as part of the current business continuity plan and efforts.
• Manage the development, review, and distribution of press releases, messaging documents, and other communications materials, such as presentations, videos, or other multimedia tools related to scientific and corporate announcements.
• Serve as the Communications lead on Global Project Teams and lead ongoing communications activities for established portfolio programs.
• Partner closely with Medical Affairs to build a key opinion leader and influencer network worldwide by cultivating relationships and elevating Prothena’s story through rich and relevant commentary on strategically important key issues and topics.
• Oversee the creation and implementation of a Digital Road Map (including social media outlets) and work collaboratively with stakeholders to ensure digital assets have a cohesive voice reflecting the company mission, vision, and values; oversee management of the existing corporate website.
• With a strong understanding of the business and related science, develop a plan to execute on opportunities and mitigate risks which could impact Prothena’s strategic goals.
• Implement a methodology to define success; measure and monitor internal and external communications effectiveness and results across the organization.
SCIENTIFIC & MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS
• Lead and develop corporate communications plans for scientific conferences, scientific presentations, research publications, and pipeline/product updates to ensure consistency of messaging across all platforms.
• Partner closely with medical affairs and program project teams to execute on disease awareness and patient advocacy campaigns.
• Liaise with medical affairs to build relationships and communications plans with global advocacy groups.
CORPORATE BRANDING & INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS
• Develop, implement, and manage Prothena’s corporate brand strategy and positioning; influence cross-functional teams to align campaigns and communications programs with this plan.
• Act as a strategic advisor to business partners across the company and work collaboratively with various teams to accomplish short- and long-term goals, including clear communication using Prothena’s brand standards for marketing, pre-launch, launch, recruiting, employee engagement, and other activities.
• Collaborate with the HR team to engage employees in understanding Prothena’s story through innovative internal communications and employee engagement initiatives.